Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Senior Project Reflection

(1) Positive Statement
What are you most proud of in your 2-Hour Presentation and/or your senior project? Why?

Being able to retain so much knowledge and sharing that with my peers is what I am most proud of in my 2-Hour presentation. I am proud of this because it shows the hard work and dedication that I have put in order to have a successful senior project and senior year.  I am really happy that I was able to remember all the information that I had to give during my 2-Hour presentation because I hardly looked at my notecards which I thought was going to be a problem for me.  For example, I have managed to remember all the dosages and purposes of the medications that are given to women who are going through preterm labor which is something that only obstetricians, registered nurses, or medical students only know. 

(2) Questions to Consider

A. What assessment would you give yourself on your 2-Hour Presentation (self-assessment)?

  The assessment that I would give myself would be a P. The reason on why I would give myself a P is because although I was strong in the information that I presented on, I felt that I could have done a little bit more. Perhaps by not saying "um" as much would change my perspective on the grade that I would give myself for my 2-Hour Presentation. 

B. What assessment would you give yourself on your overall senior project (self-assessment)?

The assessment that I would give myself for on my overall senior project is an AE. I feel that I deserve this grade because I believe that I have worked harder than my peers to fully educate myself on Obstetrics and Gynecology. Although there was no possible way to learn all there is to know about Obstetrics and Gynecology in 9 months, I believe that I have strived to know so much more about my topic than my peers which shows through the interviews that I have conducted and as well as my research binder. 

(3) What worked for you in your senior project?

The component that has worked for me in my senior project has been research checks. I think that this was very vital to the senior project because I had the opportunity to into more depth with my topic. I would take advantage of all the research checks that we had in class because I knew that I wasn't going to have time with the other duties that I had to do such as ASB, mentorship, or my college class.  Although most of the time I didn't end up finishing my research checks at the end of the block, I still managed to learn more about certain topics such as gynecological cancers or premature birth. 


(4) (What didn't work) If you had a time machine, what would have you done differently to improve your senior project if you could go back in time?

Something that I would have done differently to improve my senior project is to look for more opportunities where I could see more examples of a doctor and patient interaction. I would have really liked to see these types of consultations because it is very interesting and also very useful for my 2-Hour presentation and when I leave I-Poly.  Although, I volunteer at an amazing hospital, I would have liked to have more interactions with doctors because I would have been fascinated to learn more about why they got interested in medicine or why they still like practicing medicine instead of changing careers. 


(5) Finding Value

How has the senior project been helpful to you in your future endeavors? Be specific and use examples.
My senior project has helped me in my future endeavors by providing me with the skills necessary to be an effective researcher. I feel and have seen that my researching skills have matured since the commencement of senior project. When senior project started, I felt that I would just do a simple google search and I was done, however as the senior project progressed, I upped my game and I was able to acquire research for this project from several refutable sources such as the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology or the Centers for Disease Control. Learning how to effectively acquire good research will help when I go to college in a couple of months because since I will be majoring in biochemistry, I need to have good researching skills in order to complete assignments for school or an internship.  In the long run, this project has helped me in my future endeavors because I am confident in pursing a career in the medical field whether I get to be a doctor which is my dream job or a physician's assistant, I know that I am really interested in pursing this career option. Also this project gave me a glimpse of what to expect in a medical environment. I know that this might be happening 10 years from now but I think that its important to get a glimpse of what you want to do with your life so that you fully commit yourself to it, especially if its medicine because it is a time consuming career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment