Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mentorship

Literal
Interpretive
What is the most important thing that you have gained from this experience? Why?
  • The most important thing that I have gained from my mentorship experience is that I got to see firsthand how a medical team works. I feel that this is important because it has prepared me for the future. Although I am thinking way ahead of myself, I believe that now that I have got the opportunity to experience the environment of a hospital and how medical teams work, I will be definitely be pursuing medicine as a career. Before senior year I was very confident in focusing my career on something that dealt with the medical field. As senior year progressed, I realized that medicine is indeed for me due to what I have experienced at the hospital. Also I realized that in medical teams, you have the opportunity to work individually but in a group as well, which is something that I really enjoy.  Another important aspect that I have gained from my mentorship experience is how to treat patients when they come in for visits. Customer service is incredibly important when seeing patients, no matter if its early in the morning or if you are ready to go home. This is a skill that not only applies to my future career in medicine but to a job that I might get in college or just in everyday life. 
Applied
How has what you have done helped you answer your EQ? Please explain. 
  • This experience has helped me answer my essential question which is "what is the best method in modern obstetrics that lowers infant mortality?, because I have seen my first answer being applied almost everyday. My first answer is that women should receive prenatal care in order to reduce the rate of infant mortality. When I go to volunteer at Kaiser Permanente Baldwin Park OB/GYN department, I see countless of women coming in to receive prenatal care. This is incredibly satisfying because more babies are beating the odds of suffering from infant mortality just because their moms got the adequate care that they needed while pregnant. Another way that I can tell that moms are receiving prenatal care, specifically at Kaiser is when I have to resupply a cabinet with prenatal packets which is a constantly. 
    This is a picture of the first newsletter out of 10 that compile the prenatal packets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment